Should students be allowed to use cell phones in school?

In recent discussions of should cellphones be allowed in school, a controversial issue has been whether they should be allowed for educational purposes or cell phones shouldn’t be allowed at all.  On the one hand, some argue that cellphones should not be used in school because it might be a distraction.  From this perspective,they think the kids are going to be on their phones rather than listening and learning. On the other hand, however, others argue that cellphones should be allowed in school.  In the words of one of this views main supporters, “Students concentrate when they hear music they like that get their brain flowing” (Airhart 1)According to this view, _it means that some students concentrate differently needs music to concentrate and focus.  In sum, then, the issue is whether schools should ban phone usage or allow students to us phones. My own view is that students should gain cell phone usage.  Though I concede that students would use their phone for everything other than school purposes, I still maintain that we should be allowed to have our phone in school. For example, what if there is an emergency at home and they wanted to get in contact with us on our phones. Although some might object that because students will lie and say they’re using their phone for school purposes but be on Facebook, I reply that cell phones should be allowed because that’s how we get around and sometimes focus. The issue is important because some kids can concentrate when listening to music, or actually doing the work on their phone instead of paper.

Do you agree with me?

How would you feel if you couldn’t have your phone in school?